Adela is focused on the detection of cancer and other high-morbidity, high-mortality conditions through a blood test. The Company’s genome-wide methylation analysis technology has the unique ability to distinguish the most highly informative (methylated) regions of the genome from the non-informative regions and preferentially target those informative regions for sequencing. The technology is initially being developed for use across the cancer continuum for detection, diagnosis, and management, and in the future, it will be applied to other conditions beyond cancer.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Research Laboratory Technologist II at our Toronto facility. The Research Laboratory Technologist II is responsible for executing molecular biology assays and experiments supporting the clinical workflow in our Toronto laboratory. This individual must be highly skilled in performing laboratory procedures in a fast-paced environment. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing, dynamic, and collaborative biotech company leveraging cutting-edge liquid biopsy technology to improve human health and well-being. Interested applicants please apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Applies general technical knowledge and skills to perform routine, standardized laboratory research techniques and procedures.
- Independently performs nucleic acid extraction from a variety of samples including human specimens, nucleic acid quantification, PCR amplification, and library preparation for next-generation sequencing of clinical specimens following established SOPs.
- Assists with authoring SOPs, non-conformities, and similar documents.
- Recognize failure, troubleshoot, take appropriate corrective action, and maintain documentation of laboratory equipment. Assists with preventative equipment maintenance, calibration, and temperature/humidity logs to ensure compliance.
- Identifies any problem that may adversely affect assay performance and outcome, correct the problem, and immediately notifies the laboratory management of the problem and the solution implemented.
- Maintains documentation and records in an accurate, timely and thorough manner
- Collect, analyze, prepare, and present summaries of data. Discuss experimental and assay results, including identification of potential issues, with the supervisor.
- Completion of time-dependent project milestones.
- Participates in stability studies, validation protocols, process improvement, and reagent verification activities.
- Ensures sufficient supply of reagents, consumables, and other materials essential for executing experiments and assays.
- Ensures laboratory areas are clean and well-organized.
- Strictly adheres to safety protocols, wearing of PPE, and laboratory best practices.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Experienced and trained to work in a BSL2 laboratory environment.
- Must be experienced in the isolation and quantification of nucleic acid from a variety of biological samples
- Strong molecular skills. Great manual dexterity.
- Able to follow instructions, both written and verbal.
- Critical thinking skills – able to identify problems and troubleshoot
- Strong attention to detail and high accuracy.
- Highly adaptable and flexible to change.
- Excellent prioritization and time-management skills; able to multitask.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective communicator, both written and verbal.
- Able to interpret data from analytical equipment
- Proficiency with computer programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Document Control Systems, and LIS/LIMS.
Working Environment/Physical Demands
- Safe handling hazardous materials, blood specimens and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and operation of high-speed centrifuges
- Able to handle repetitive manual pipetting
- Standing or sitting for long periods may be necessary
- Some lifting (up to 50 pounds) may be necessary
Education and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, or related scientific field with 3-5 years related experience or 2-3 years related experience with Master’s Degree
- 3+ years relevant laboratory experience
- Next-generation sequencing experience strongly preferred